RICHMOND, Ky. – The UNC Asheville women’s basketball team will hit the road for the first time this season when the Bulldogs take on the Lady Colonels of Eastern Kentucky, in a non-conference matchup set to begin at 2 p.m. on Saturday afternoon.
The game can be heard live on The Revolution 880 am, beginning with a pregame show starting at 1:45 p.m.
The Blue & White have dropped a pair of home games this season, but have held opponents under 60 points in both contests defensively.
“This team continues to try and find ways to get better with each opportunity,”said Asheville head coach Brenda Mock Kirkpatrick. “We are still looking for our first win, and after droppinggames against Western Carolina and Wofford, that hunt will continue on the road.”
Asheville suffered a 58-45 setback to WCU this past Saturday before falling 58-54 to Wofford on Thursday evening.
The Bulldogs have a tough task in EKU, who are 2-0 on the young season.
“EKU is an aggressive and athletic team that never quits,” added Kirkpatrick. “They have dominated the offensive glass in their wins against Miami (OH) and Kent State. Our team will have to play with determination, and execute down the stretch to give ourselves an opportunity to win against Eastern.”
The Lady Colonels are averaging 64.5 points per game, and senior Jade Barber has recorded back-to-back double-doubles to open the 2012-13 campaign.
Asheville is led offensively by reigning Big South Conference Freshman of the Year Shonese Jones, who is averaging 15 points per game. Senior forward Kelli Riles recorded her first double-double of the season against Wofford on Thursday, scoring 13 points and recording 20 boards.
• Today will be the first road game of the year for the Blue & White, who went 0-14 on the road a year ago.
• The Bulldogs are 0-2 against the Lady Colonels, with the last meeting coming during the 1990-91 season.
• Asheville is currently on a 14-game losing skid dating back to last season.
• The Bulldogs have led their opponents in each game this season heading into halftime.
• KELLI RILES is currently third in the Big South in rebounds with a 13.5 rebound per game average.
• Reigning Big South Freshman of the Year SHONESE JONES is currently ninth in the league in scoring, averaging 15.0 points per game.