CLINTON, S.C. – Presbyterian College rallied to win the final four singles matches to slip past UNC Asheville, 4-3 in Big South Conference men’s tennis action Wednesday afternoon.
The Bulldogs (9-7, 2-4 BSC) won all three doubles matches to pick up the doubles point and then dominated the first two singles matches to take a 3-0 lead.
Asheville won the doubles point by winning two close matches at #1 and #2 flights. Matt Waissen and Adrien Langeard downed Andrew Brigham and William O’Connell, 9-7 at #1. Daniel Kripak and John Schubel edged Rafael Berghaus and Grayson Mills, 9-8. Brett Landau and Alex Croker won at #3 by defeating Danny Bruce and Edward Snead, 8-3.
The Blue & White got off to good start in singles. Langeard beat Mills at #1 flight, 6-4, 6-1. Waissen made it 3-0 with a victory over William O’Connell at #2, 6-0, 7-6.
But the Blue Hose rallied by winning flights 3-6 to earn the league victory over the Bulldogs.
UNC Asheville was scheduled to play at Gardner-Webb on Thursday but that game has been postponed due to pending bad weather. The Bulldogs play next on Sunday at Winthrop.
1. LANGEARD, Adrien (ASHM) def. MILLS, Grayson (PCM) 6-4, 6-1
2. WAISSEN, Matt (ASHM) def. O'CONNELL, William (PCM) 6-0, 7-6
3. BRUCE, Danny (PCM) def. KRIPAK, Daniel (ASHM) 6-3, 6-4
4. BRIGHAM, Andrew (PCM) def. CROKER, Alex (ASHM) 6-0, 7-6
5. BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) def. SCHUBEL, John (ASHM) 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
6. ASIS, Gonzalo (PCM) def. LANDAU, Brett (ASHM) 6-3, 7-5
1. WAISSEN, Matt/LANGEARD, Adrien (ASHM) def. BRIGHAM, Andrew/O'CONNELL, William (PCM) 9-7
2. KRIPAK, Daniel/SCHUBEL, John (ASHM) def. BERGHAUS, Rafael/MILLS, Grayson (PCM) 9-8
3. LANDAU, Brett/CROKER, Alex (ASHM) def. BRUCE, Danny/SNEAD, Edward (PCM) 8-3