ASHEVILLE, N.C. – The Campbell University women’s tennis team earned four singles competition points en route to a 4-3 decision over UNC Asheville on Saturday afternoon at Crowne Plaza in Big South Conference action.
With the setback Asheville drops to 10-8 on the season and 2-5 in the Big South while the Camels improve to 13-6 and 6-1 in league matches.
The Bulldogs started the day by winning a tough doubles point, as the teams of Zoe Hamel and Ericka Rivero defeated Karolina Chemaya and Claudia Ortiz 8-5 before Christine Boiessevain and Amryn Soldier posted an 8-6 victory over Campbell’s Natasha Afridi and Tamara Stanic.
Campbell’s No. 3 doubles team of Ana Maria Ortiz and Ewa Telenga defeated Asheville’s Gillian Lewis and Emily McNall 8-4 to wrap up team play.
No. 1 and No. 2 singles proved to be the matches of the day for both teams. Campell’s No. 1 Chemeya outlasted Asheville’s Hamel for a 3-6, 6-1, 6-3 victory before the Bulldogs’ Ericka Rivero defeated the Camels’ Afridi 7-6, 3-6, 6-2.
At the No. 3 slot Stanic edged Soldier 6-0, 7-5 to pick up another point for CU while McNall earned a victory for the Bulldogs at the No. 4 spot over Ortiz 6-4, 6-3.
Campbell was able to win the No. 5 and No. 6 points, with Amelie Reichart defeating Boissevain 6-2, 6-2 and Telenga posting a 6-4, 6-3 win over Asheville’s Hunter Hall.
The Bulldogs will be back in action on Wednesday afternoon at Crowne Plaza as they host Presbyterian College at 2 p.m.
1. Karolina Chernaya (CAMW) def. HAMEL, Zoe (ASHW) 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
2. RIVERO, Ericka (ASHW) def. Natasha Afridi (CAMW) 7-6, 3-6, 6-2
3. Tamara Stanic (CAMW) def. SOLDIER, Amryn (ASHW) 6-0, 7-5
4. McNALL, Emily (ASHW) def. Ana Maria Ortiz (CAMW) 6-4, 6-3
5. Amelie Reichart (CAMW) def. BOISSEVAIN, Christin (ASHW) 6-2, 6-2
6. Ewa Telenga (CAMW) def. HALL, Hunter (ASHW) 6-4, 6-3
1. HAMEL, Zoe/RIVERO, Ericka (ASHW) def. Karolina Chernaya/Claudia Ortiz (CAMW) 8-5
2. BOISSEVAIN, Christin/SOLDIER, Amryn (ASHW) def. Natasha Afridi/Tamara Stanic (CAMW) 8-6
3. Ana Maria Ortiz/Ewa Telenga (CAMW) def. LEWIS, Gillian/McNALL, Emily (ASHW) 8-4