ASHEVILLE, N.C. - The UNC Asheville volleyball team is home this weekend with a pair of Big South Conference matches. The Bulldogs host Radford Friday night at 7 p.m., followed by a match with Liberty on Saturday at 6 p.m.
Both matches will be video-streamed and can be seen on the multimedia tag at uncabulldogs.com for a small fee.
Asheville (4-13, 0-1 BSC) looks for its first league win of the season in the matches. However, the Bulldogs face stiff challenges on both nights. Radford has a 9-8 overall record and is 0-1 in league play. The defending BSC champion Lady Flames are 1-0 in the league and have an 11-4 overall worksheet.
Asheville has played just one home match this season. Second-year coach Frederico Santos is glad the Bulldogs will be home this weekend.
"We've been on the road the first part of the season either playing in tournaments or on someone's home-court," stated Santos. "We're glad that we'll have the home crowd on our side this weekend."
Santos is impressed with both clubs.
"Radford has a very good team. They came on at the end of last season and that momentum has continued into this season," explained Santos.
"Liberty won our league last season and is determined to do it again. They've posted some great non-conference wins," added Santos.
The Bulldogs have not played since last Friday night when they dropped a 3-1 decision at league foe Gardner-Webb.
"We've worked hard in practice this week, and I believe we're ready to play two great matches this weekend," declared Santos. "Our young players get better and better with each match. We just need to put a whole volleyball match together from start to finish."
- 1. UNC Asheville lost to both Liberty and Radford last season at home in five sets.
- 2. The Bulldogs are 2-1 in five-set matches this season.
- 3. Anna Moore is fifth in the Big South in blocks (0.97), eighth in hitting percentage (.260) and ninth in kills (2.49)
- 4. Holly Shelton is fifth in the league in kills at 2.85 per set.
- 5. Freshman Katie Davis is fifth in assists with an 8.38 average.
- 6. Alex Stewart is eighth in digs with a 3.18 mark.