ASHEVILLE, N.C. - The UNC Asheville women's basketball team hits the road tonight as the Bulldogs face USC Upstate at the Hodge Center starting at 7 p.m.
Tonight's game will be audio-streamed and can be heard at www.uncabulldogs.com.
Asheville (1-6) looks to snap a three-game losing streak against the Spartans (3-5) on Monday. USC Upstate is coming off an impressive 51-48 road win at Western Carolina last week. The Bulldogs fell at home to Campbell in their Big South Conference opener on Saturday, 73-56.
The Spartans edged Asheville last season at Kimmel Arena, 73-66 behind 34 points from Tee"Ara Copney.
Asheville is being led this year in scoring by sophomore guard Shonese Jones. She scored a season-high 21 points against Campbell and is averaging 11.9 points per game. Senior forward Gentry Manley is next with a 9.3 scoring average. Kelli Riles leads the Bulldogs in rebounding with a 10.1 per game mark.
After tonight's game, Asheville starts a two-game homestand. The Bulldogs are back at Kimmel Arena Saturday afternoon against Columbia College at 2 p.m. Asheville finishes up the homestand with a game against Kennesaw State on Thursday, Dec. 13 vs. Kennesaw State with a 6 p.m. start.
1. UNC Asheville leads the all-time series with USC Upstate, 6-2 and has a 2-1 record against the Spartans in Spartanburg.
2. Kelli Riles has 823 career rebounds, good for fourth place all-time on Asheville's career rebounds list. She needs 68 rebounds to move into third place past Kim Duncan (888) and 73 to move past Wendy Beecher (894) into second place. When she moves past Beecher, Kelli will become the school's Division I leader in rebounding. Sheila Ford holds the top spot with 2,200 rebounds.
3. USC Upstate is coached by former Asheville assistant coach Tammy George. Tammy was an assistant for the Bulldog program in the 2002-03 season.
4. The Bulldogs hope to break an 18-game road losing streak tonight.
5. Sophomore guard Shonese Jones scored a season-high 21 points against Campbell on Saturday. She has now scored 20 points or more in 12 different games during her career.
6. Sophomore forward Jeannie Buckner leads Asheville in assists with 16 and is tied for the team leading 3-pointers made with nine. She has 12 field goals on the season with nine being from long-range. Bucker grabbed a career-high 10 rebounds vs. Campbell on Saturday.
7. Senior forward Gentry Manley has scored in double figures in three of the last four games.