ASHEVILLE, N.C. – Pat Shelton scored in the 108th minute  to lead High Point past UNC Asheville 1-0 in double overtime Saturday afternoon at Greenwood Field.


The Big South loss was a bitter one for the Bulldogs (4-8-0, 1-3-0 BSC) as the home team came close to scoring the game-winning goal late in regulation and twice in the first overtime period.


The Panthers (4-6-1, 2-1-1 BSC) out-shot Asheville 20-8, but Asheville had the better scoring chances, including a shot that hit the cross bar and goal post in the first overtime period.


“I was pleased with our group effort today, especially with our collective defending,” stated Bulldog coach Matt Kern. “The first half we were not very dangerous going forward, but as the game went on we found some great chances.”


The winning goal came at 108:03 when Adam Storm made a pass to Shelton who was able to head the ball into the left corner of the goal to give the Panthers the victory. It was Shelton’s third goal of the season.


Asheville came close in the 85th minute. A pass was sent into the goal area and Quentin Reynolds was able to get a foot on it. His shot appeared to be going into the right-part of the goal before a High Point defender was able to knock the ball away at the last minute.


In the first overtime period, the Bulldogs had two great chances in the 95th minute. Kenneth Lingerfelt’s blast from 20 yards out hit the cross bar and then the left goal post and bounced out. The ball bounced right to Emil Gonsalvez from six yards out. His shot from six yards out was just tipped away at the last minute by goalkeeper Kody Palmer.


That was Palmer’s second of two saves on the day as he earned the shutout.


High Point controlled the first half as it took the first six shots of the half and had most of the possession. But the Bulldogs came close to scoring late in the half on the first shot when Hans Lohmeyer’s shot just missed going into the Panther goal with 30 seconds left.


UNC Asheville has a week off before hosting Campbell at Greenwood Field starting at 2 p.m. High Point travels to West Virginia Tuesday at 7 p.m.