LYNCHBURGH, Va. - The UNC Asheville women's tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision to Liberty in Big South Conference action on Friday afternoon, as the Bulldogs fall to 0-5 on the season in league matches on the season.
Liberty levels its overall record to 11-11 with the victory, while posting a 4-4 mark in conference action on the year. UNC Asheville drops to 6-12 overall, and 0-5 in conference play.
Despite falling behind early in a pair of the doubles contests, the Lady Flames rallied in both to win all three matches. Sophomores Alexandra Sheeran and Rebekah Jenkins picked up the first victory, winning 8-5 over Devon Cavanaugh and Jenna Dodge in the No. 2 contest.
Despite trailing 3-2 early, Lobel and Jessie Boda took six of the next eight games to secure the doubles point with an 8-4 win in the No. 3 slot. Cameron Richard and Brittany Yang also faced a 3-2 deficit, but closed strong to win, 9-7, over Emily McNall and Christine Boissevain at No. 1.
In singles action Sheeran defeated McNall 6-4, 6-0 in No.1 singles, Richard defeated Amryn Soldier 4-6, 6-1, 10-4 in No. 2 singles, and Yang defeated Boissevain 6-3, 6-3 to claim the No. 3 singles point.
In No. 4 action Jenkins earned a 6-0, 6-3 win over Dodge and Lobel defeated Amie Cloer 6-0, 6-1 in No. 5 singles
The Bulldogs were forced to default in the No. 6 singles.
Liberty 7, UNC Asheville 0
1. Richard/Yang (LU) def. McNall/Boissevain (UNCA), 9-7
2. Sheeran/Jenkins (LU) def. Cavanaugh/Dodge (UNCA), 8-5
3. Lobel/Boda (LU) def. Soldier/Cloer (UNCA), 8-4
1. Sheeran (LU) def. McNall (UNCA), 6-4, 6-0
2. Richard (LU) def. Soldier (UNCA), 4-6, 6-1, 10-4
3. Yang (LU) def. Boissevain (UNCA), 6-3, 6-3
4. Jenkins (LU) def. Dodge (UNCA), 6-0, 6-3
5. Lobel (LU) def. Cloer (UNCA), 6-0, 6-1
6. Wellman (LU) wins by default