ASHEVILLE, N.C. – Radford continued one of its most successful seasons in school history with a 4-1 win over fifth-seeded Gardner-Webb in the opening round of the 2012 Big South Women’s Tennis Championships Thursday at the Asheville Racquet Club South.
With the win, the Highlanders improve to 17-6 overall and will face top-seeded Winthrop in the semifinals Friday morning at 10 a.m. The Runnin Bulldogs finished their season with a 13-10 worksheet.
Radford’s top duo of Mia Drobnjak and Taylor Newman held off Jenny Lunde and Ioana Oprea, 9-8 (6), to secure the doubles point and give their club the early 1-0 advantage.
The freshmen tandam of Hannah Crawford and Meg Napolitano provided the other doubles victory with a convincing 8-1 win on court two to improve to a team-best 19-4 on the spring.
Drobnjak carried her impressive play into singles and extended the Highlanders lead to 2-0 with a straight-set (6-0, 6-4) decision over Oprea at the No. 3 singles position.
Freshman Gemma Valls put Radford one win away from the dual thanks to a two-set (6-0, 6-4) victory of her own on court four.
Not long after Gardner-Webb cut the deficit to 3-1 with a win at the top spot as Erica White downed Petra Dajevic, 6-0, 7-5, Napolitano defeated Yasmin Doost, 6-0, 3-6, 6-3, to clinch the match for the Highlanders.
Radford 4, Gardner-Webb 1
Big South Women’s Tennis Quarterfinals
Asheville, N.C. – Asheville Racquet Club South
1. Mia Drobnjak/Taylor Newman (RU) def. Ioana Oprea/Junny Lunde (GWU) 9-8 (6)
2. Meg Napolitano/Hannah Crawford (RU) def. Alice Hopkins/Yasmin Doost (GWU) 8-1
3. Erica White/Ronia Hutterli (GWU) led Petra Dajevic/Gemma Valls (RU) 7-6, unfinished
Order of Finish: 2, 1
1. Erica White (GWU) def. Petra Dajevic (RU) 6-0, 7-5
2. Alice Hopkins (GWU) led Hannah Crawford (RU) 4-6, 6-3, 3-2
3. Mia Drobnjak (RU) def. Ioana Oprea (GWU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Gemma Valls (RU) def. Jenny Lunde (GWU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Ronia Hutterli (GWU) led Taylor Newman (RU) 6-4, 6-5
6. Meg Napolitano (RU) def. Yasmin Doost (GWU) 6-0, 3-6, 6-3
05/12/15Full Archives ►