FARMVILLE, Va. - The UNC Asheville women's tennis team picked up its first Big South Conference win of the year on Wednesday with a hard-fought 4-3 victory over Longwood Wednesday afternoon at the Lancer Tennis Complex.
The Bulldogs (7-5, 1-1 BSC) won the doubles point and then picked up three singles victories, two in three sets to earn their first league victory since the 2010 season.
Asheville dominated doubles action by winning all three matches to go up 1-0. Amryn Soldier and Gillian Lewis threw a shutout at #3 doubles by winning, 8-0. Emily McNall and Christine Boissevain clinched the point by winning at #2 doubles, 8-3. Zoe Hamel and Ericka Rivero picked up a win at #1 doubles, 8-7.
In singles action, Boissevain was the lone Bulldog to win in straight sets. She beat Hannah Hill at #5 flight, 6-0, and 6-1.
Hamel rallied for a win at #1 singles. She lost the first set to Malin Allgurin, 4-6 but roared back to win 7-5 and 6-4.
Asheville clinched the win with a three-set win at #4 singles. Freshman Ericka Rivero downed Sharah Moomau, 6-3. 5-7, 6-3.
The Bulldogs are off until next Wednesday (March 20) when they play at Gardner-Webb.
- 1. Hamel-Rivero (ASH) def. Pinyol-Shulman (LONG) 8-7
- 2. Boissevain-McNall (ASH) def. Allgurin-Moomau (LONG) 8-3
- 3. Soldier-Lewis (ASH) def. Hill-Parker (LONG) 8-0
- 1. Hamel (ASH) def. Pinyol (LONG) 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
- 2. Allgurin (LONG) def. McNall (ASH) 6-2, 6-0
- 3. Shulman (LONG) def. Soldier (ASH) 0-6, 6-1, 6-4
- 4. Rivero (ASH) def. Moomau (LONG) 6-3, 5-7, 6-3
- 5. Boissevain (ASH) def. Hill (LONG) 6-0, 6-1
- 6. Parker (LONG) def. Lewis (ASH) 6-4. 6-4