FARMVILLE, Va. - The UNC Asheville men's tennis team won four singles match and earned the doubles point en route to a 5-2 Big South Conference road win at Longwood Wednesday afternoon.
The Bulldogs (7-4, 1-1 BSC) won all three doubles match to race to a 1-0 lead. Asheville controlled most of the singles matches as it won three of the matches in straight sets with John Schubel winning in three sets at #5 flight.
All three doubles matches were fairly close but the Blue & White was able to get the key points when it had to have them. Daniel Kripak and Schubel won 8-6 at #2 flight, while Alex Croker and Brett Landau won at #3 flight, also by an 8-6 count. Matt Waissen and Adrien Langeard completed the sweep with a 9-8 victory at #1 flight.
In singles action, Waissen won at #2 singles over Daniel Elston, 6-1, 6-1. Kripak won at #3 singles over Edward Becker, 6-2, 6-4. Landau sealed the win with a 6-2, 6-3 triumph over Justin Higgs, 6-3, and 6-3 at #6.
Schubel earned Asheville's fifth point at #5 singles as he defeated Steed Johnson, 6-4, 4-6, 6-0.
The Bulldogs are back in action on Friday, March 22 when they host Coastal Carolina at the ARC Downtown starting at 1 p.m.
- 1. Langeard-Waissen (ASH) def. Khmiadashvili-Elston (LONG) 9-8
- 2. Schubel-Kripak (ASH) def. Becker-Kelleher (LONG) 8-6
- 3. Croker-Landau (ASH) def. Johnson-Sankar (LONG) 8-6
- 1. Khmiadashvili (LONG) def. Langeard (ASH) 6-2, 6-4
- 2. Waissen (ASH) def. Elston (LONG) 6-1, 6-1
- 3. Kripak (ASH) def. Becker (LONG) 6-2, 6-1
- 4. Kelleher (LONG) def. Croker (ASH) 7-5, 6-3
- 5. Schubel (ASH) def. Johnson (LONG) 6-4, 4-6, 6-0
- 6. Landau (ASH) def. Higgs (LONG) 6-2, 6-3.