BUIES CREEK, N.C. – Campbell swept the doubles matches, then claimed four singles points in a 5-2 win over UNC Asheville Friday at the Nisbet Tennis Center.
The Camels (10-5, 5-1 Big South) won for the seventh time in their last eight dual matches. UNC Asheville (8-6, 2-3) could not recover after dropping the doubles point for the first time this year against league competition.
Fernando Guillen and Adrien Rossignon improved to 6-1 at the top doubles position with an 8-4 victory over Adrien Langeard and Matt Waissen. Josep Baro and David Clavera defeated Daniel Kripak and John Schubel 8-6 at number two.
At the third doubles post, Campbell’s Steven Billington and Rik Van Gerwen handed Asheville’s Alex Croker and Brett Landau their first defeat in conference play this season.
Ranked No.-90 in the latest ITA national singles listing, Guillen won his seventh singles outing in a row with a 7-6, 6-2 triumph over Langeard, who dropped to 9-3 on the year at number-one.
The Bulldogs are back in action on Saturday when they host North Carolina Central at the ARC starting at Noon.
Campbell 5, UNC Asheville 2
1. #90 Fernando Guillen (CAM) def. LANGEARD, Adrien (ASHM) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
2. KRIPAK, Daniel (ASHM) def. Adrien Rossingnon (CAM) 6-1, 6-1
3. WAISSEN, Matt (ASHM) def. Steven Billington (CAM) 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
4. David Clavera (CAM) def. CROKER, Alex (ASHM) 7-5, 6-4
5. Josep Baro (CAM) def. SCHUBEL, John (ASHM) 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-7)
6. Rik Van Gerwen (CAM) def. LANDAU, Brett (ASHM) 6-4, 7-5
1. Fernando Guillen/Adrien Rossingnon (CAM) def. LANGEARD, Adrien/WAISSEN, Matt (ASHM) 8-4
2. Josep Baro/David Clavera (CAM) def. KRIPAK, Daniel/SCHUBEL, John (ASHM) 8-6
3. Steven Billington/Rik Van Gerwen (CAM) def. CROKER, Alex/LANDAU, Brett (ASHM) 8-5