ASHEVILLE, N.C. – Presbyterian College won a close doubles points and then grinded out six singles victories as the Blue Hose downed UNC Asheville, 7-0 in men’s tennis action Thursday afternoon at the Asheville Racquet Club.
The Bulldogs fell to 7-10 on the season and 1-3 in the Big South. PC improved to 22-4 overall and 5-1 in league play.
Asheville picked up a doubles win at #1 flight as Brett Landau and Alex Croker edged Rafael Berghaus-Joel Roberts, 8-6. But the Blue Hose earned the point with wins at #2 and #3 flight. PC clinched the point at #2 flight as Diego Manzanas and Grayson Mills slipped past John Schubel and Thomas Panoulas, 9-8.
The Blue Hose dominated single action by winning all six matches. Joel Roberts and Ben Kelly were pushed to three sets but won in tie-breakers. Grayson Mills, Rafael Berghaus, Danny Bruce and Diego Manzanas all won in straight sets.
Asheville is back in action on Saturday when the Bulldogs host Big South foe Campbell at 1 p.m.
1. Brett Landau-Alex Croker (ASHM) def. Rafael Berghaus-Joel Roberts (PC) 8-6
2. Diego Manzanas-Grayson Mills (PC) def. John Schubel-Thomas Panoulas (ASHM) 9-8
3. Ben Kelly-Ryan Miller (PC) def. Daniel Kripak-Josh Swindler (ASH) 8-3
1. Grayson Mills (PC) def. Daniel Kripak (ASHM) 6-1, 6-0
2. Rafael Berghaus (PC) def. Thomas Panoulas (ASHM) 6-2, 6-3
3. Joel Roberts (PC) def. Alex Croker (ASHM) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (6)
4. Danny Bruce (PC) def. Brett Landau (ASHM) 6-4, 6-2
5. Ben Kelly (PC) def. John Schubel (ASHM) 6-7, 6-1, 1-0 (6)
6. Diego Manzanas (PC) def. Josh Swindler (ASHM) 6-2, 6-0