ASHEVILLE, N.C. - Morgan Thomas scored with less than three minutes left in the second overtime period to give visiting East Tennessee State a 2-1 victory over UNC Asheville Sunday afternoon at Greenwood Field.


The Bulldogs (0-2-0) tied the match late in regulation when sophomore forward Amanda Dailor headed in a ball into the back of the net with less than six minutes left.


The loss marked the second straight 2-1 defeat for a young Asheville club that was without three starters today. The Bulldogs fell at Eastern Kentucky 2-1 Friday night.


"We battled hard today and this weekend," commented Asheville coach Michelle Demko. "I'm very proud of our effort, but we had to play a lot of young people today. In overtime, we had six freshmen out on the field. When you have that much youth, you're going to have some tough learning lessons.


"But overall I really can't complain," added Demko. "East Tennessee State is a very good team and is well-coached. We really gave a superb effort and came close to wining the match."


The winning goal came at 107:43. Ramey Kerns crossed a ball to Thomas who was one-on-one with the keeper. Her shot from eight yards out just sailed over Asheville goalkeeper Heather Muller's hands and into the back of the net.


Both goalkeepers were spectacular for each club. ETSU goalkeeper Sierra Campbell kept the Lady Bucs in the match in the first half as she made 11 saves. Asheville out-shot the Bucs 15-6 in the opening half. The Bulldogs came incredibly close to scoring three different times only to have Campbell make point-blank saves on two shots. Another shot was cleared off the line by an ETSU defender. Campbell finished the match with 15 saves.


Muller was spectacular for the Bulldogs in the second half and both overtime periods. She had two saves in the second half and then four in the first overtime period, including two from six yards out. The sophomore goalkeeper had 11 saves on the day.


Asheville dominated the first half but the match was scoreless. The Lady Bucs struck quickly to start the second half for the first goal of the game. Sarah Zadrazil made a perfect pass to Kerns who scored from six yards out 13 seconds into the second half for a 1-0 ETSU lead.


It looked like it would stay that way as Campbell continued to deny the Bulldogs. She made four saves in the second half.


Finally the Bulldogs got on the board. ETSU was whistled for a foul near midfield. Freshman Melanie sent the free kick into the goal area when Dailor was able to head the ball into the back of the goal at 84:42.


Asheville finished with a 26-24 advantage in shots on the day. Dailor took nine shots for the Blue & White. ETSU dominated both overtime periods in shot as it held a 10-2 advantage.


The Bulldogs are on the road at UNC Greensboro next Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m.