BOILING SPRINGS, N.C. (BigSouthSports.com) – No. 8 seed UNC Asheville downed No. 9 seed Longwood, 4-1, in the first round of the Big South Conference Men's Tennis Championship Wednesday afternoon at Gardner-Webb University.
Asheville took the doubles point as the No. 3 duo of Daniel Kripak and Josh Swindler downed Steed Johnson and James Fudge, 8-1 and No. 2 team of John Schubel and Thomas Panoulas defeated Warren Bryan and Bharani Sanker 8-2.
Asheville secured the match with singles points from Swindler (def. Bharani Sankar, 6-3, 6-4) at No. 6, Alex Croker (def. Edward Becker, 6-1, 6-3) at No. 2, and Panoulus wrapping up the match at No. 4 (6-3, 6-3).
Longwood took its point from Justin Higgs’ match with John Schubel at No. 5 after Schubel retired during the second set due to injury. Higgs led 6-4, 2-4 at the time of the injury.
The Bulldogs (8-14) move on to Thursday’s quarterfinals where they will face No. 1 seed Presbyterian College at 8 a.m. The Lancers end their season with a 1-18 overall record.
1. KRIPAK, Daniel (ASHM) vs. ELSTON, Daniel (LW) 6-6, unfinished
2. CROKER, Alex (ASHM) def. BECKER, Edward (LW) 6-1, 6-3
3. PANOULAS, Thomas (ASHM) def. JOHNSON, Steed (LW) 6-3, 6-3
4. LANDAU, Brett (ASHM) vs. BRYAN, Warren (LW) 1-6, 6-4, 2-3, unfinished
5. HIGGS, Justin (LW) def. SCHUBEL, John (ASHM) 6-4, 2-4, retired
6. SWINDLER, Josh (ASHM) def. SANKAR, Bharani (LW) 6-3, 6-4
1. CROKER, Alex/LANDAU, Brett (ASHM) vs. ELSTON, Daniel/BECKER, Edward (LW) 5-4, unfinished
2. SCHUBEL, John/PANOULAS, Thomas (ASHM) def. BRYAN, Warren/SANKAR, Bharani (LW) 8-2
3. KRIPAK, Daniel/SWINDLER, Josh (ASHM) def. JOHNSON, Steed/FUDGE, James (LW) 8-1