Men's Tennis Falls to Top-Seeded Winthrop, 4-1
April 22, 2011
Asheville took the doubles point as it won the No. 1 and No. 2 flights. Asheville's Matt Waissen and Jonas Brobeck posted the first doubles win as they recorded an 8-4 win over Sergey Belov and Liran Levy at the No. 1 flight. At No. 2 doubles, Nathan White and Nicolai Nonnenbroich of Asheville defeated Guy Kubi and Nadav Ruppin, 8-5.
The Eagles rallied in singles portion, taking the No. 1, No. 4, No. 2 and No. 5 flights. At No. 1, Belov defeated Adrien Langeard, 6-2, 6-3. Kubi picked up another point for Winthrop as he defeated Ryan Matthews at the No. 4 flight, 6-3, 6-1. Dejon Bivens extended the Eagles' lead with a 6-2, 7-5 win over Waissen at No. 2. Ruppin closed the match out for Winthrop with his 6-4, 6-4 win over Brobek at No. 5 singles.
With the win Winthrop moves to the finals where it will play the winner of the No. 2 Radford/No. 6 Liberty match on Saturday, April 23 at 1:00pm.
Winthrop 4, UNC Asheville 1
1. BELOV, Sergey (WU) def. LANGEARD, Adrien (ASHM) 6-2, 6-3
2. BIVENS, Dejon (WU) def. WAISSEN, Matt (ASHM) 6-3, 7-5
3. LEVY, Liran (WU) vs. NONNENBROICH, N. (ASHM) unfinished
4. KUBI, Guy (WU) def. MATTHEWS, Ryan (ASHM) 6-3, 6-1
5. RUPPIN, Nadav (WU) def. BROBECK, Jonas (ASHM) 6-4, 6-4
6. HIROKAWA, Yuta (WU) vs. REES, Thomas (ASHM) unfinished
1. WAISSEN, Matt/BROBECK, Jonas (ASHM) def. BELOV, Sergey/LEVY, Liran (WU) 8-4
2. WHITE, Nathan/NONNENBROICH, N. (ASHM) def. KUBI, Guy/RUPPIN, Nadav (WU) 8-5
3. BIVENS, Dejon/HIROKAWA, Yuta (WU) vs. LANGEARD, Adrien/REES, Thomas (ASHM) unfinished