ASHEVILLE, N.C. – The UNC Asheville men’s tennis team dropped a 4-3 decision to Big South Conference foe Campbell on Saturday afternoon at Crowne Plaza, as the Camels were able to pick up the crucial doubles point before splitting singles competition.
With the win the Camels improve to 11-5 overall and 5-1 in conference while the Bulldogs fall to 7-11 and 1-4 in the league.
“It was a great effort by the guys today,” said Asheville head coach Tom Hand. “We came up just short against a very strong Campbell team.”
In doubles play the team of Alex Croker and Brett Landau defeated Dominik Kaniewski and Adrien Rossingnon 8-6, but Campbell’s No. 2 team of Fernando Guillen and Rik Van Gerwen posted an 8-5 win over Will Goldberg and John Schubel.
The No. 3 team of Jean-Marc Krone and Marthinus Visser secured the doubles point for Campbell with an 8-7 decision over Daniel Kripak and Josh Swindler.
In singles competition five of the six matches went three sets. Kripak earned a 7-6, 3-6, 6-4 victory over Guillen at the No. 1 spot, while Croker defeated Visser 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 in No. 2 singles.
Campbell earned wins at No.3 and No. 4, with Kaniewski earning a 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 win over Landau and Steven Billington defeating Schubel 6-3, 6-3.
The Bulldogs’ Swindler earned a 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 win over Rossignon before Campbell’s Jean-Marc Krone posted a 2-6, 6-1, 6-2 victory over Goldberg at No. 6 singles.
Asheville will be back in action tomorrow at Crowne Plaza when the Bulldogs host Winthrop at 1 p.m.
1. KRIPAK, Daniel (ASHM) def. Fernando Guillen (CAMM) 7-6, 3-6, 6-4
2. CROKER, Alex (ASHM) def. Marthinus Visser (CAMM) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
3. Dominik Kaniewski (CAMM) def. LANDAU, Brett (ASHM) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
4. Steven Billington (CAMM) def. SCHUBEL, John (ASHM) 6-3, 6-3
5. SWINDLER, Josh (ASHM) def. Adrien Rossignon (CAMM) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
6. Jean-Marc Krone (CAMM) def. GOLDBERG, Will (ASHM) 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
1. CROKER, Alex/LANDAU, Brett (ASHM) def. Dominik Kaniewski/Adrien Rossignon (CAMM) 8-6
2. Fernando Guillen/Rik Van Gerwen (CAMM) def. GOLDBERG, Will/SCHUBEL, John (ASHM) 8-5
3. Jean-Marc Krone/Marthinus Visser (CAMM) def. KRIPAK, Daniel/SWINDLER, Josh (ASHM) 8-7