ASHEVILLE, N.C. – East Carolina captured four singles matches, two in three sets as the Pirates held off an inspired UNC Asheville challenge, 4-3 in men’s collegiate tennis action Monday at the Asheville Racquet Club.
The Bulldogs (1-1) stunned ECU by winning the doubles points. Asheville won at #2 and #3 doubles to earn the point.
At #3 doubles, Josh Swindler and Thomas Panoulas raced past Nicolas Soriano and Patriek Wolterbeek, 6-2. Asheville won the point at #2 doubles when John Schubel and Daniel Kripak slipped past Frederic Lehfeldt and Damien Brenard, 6-5 (7-5) in a tie-breaker.
Kripak battled 23th-ranked Joran Vliegen to three sets at #1 flight. Kirpak captured the first set in a tie-breaker, 6-5 (10-8). Vliefen rallied to win the match at 6-3, 6-3.
Asheville earned singles wins from Panoulas and Landau. Panoulas won at #2 singles in three sets. He downed Soriano, 4-6, 6-4, 6-4. Landau won at #4 singles as he slipped past Bernard, 6-4, 6-4.
But ECU (1-1) was able to win the other three singles matches to sneak out of Asheville (1-1) with a victory.
The Bulldogs are back in action on Sunday (Jan. 25) against Lees-McRae at home starting at 5 p.m.
1. Joran Vliegen-Collin Roller (ECU) def. Alex Croker-Brett Landau (ASHM), 6-4
2. John Schubel-Daniel Kripak(ASHM) def. Frederic Lehfeldt-Damien Brenard (ECU), 6-5 (7-5)
3. Josh Swindler-Thomas Panoulas (ASHM) def. Nicolas Soriano-Patriek Wolterbeek (ECU) 6-2.
1. Joran Vliegen (ECU) def. Daniel Kripak (ASHM), 5-6, 6-3, 6-3.
2. Thomas Panoulas (ASHM) def. Nicolas Soriano (ECU), 4-6, 6-4, 6-4.
3. Mario Martinez (ECU) def. Alex Croker (ASHM) 6-2, 5-6 (2-7), 6-5 (8-6).
4. Brett Landau (ASHM) def. Damien Brenard (ECU), 6-4, 6-4.
5. Frederic Lehfeldt (ECU) def. John Schubel (ASHM) 6-2, 6-2.
6. Collin Roller (ECU) def. Josh Swindler (ASHM) 6-5 (9-7), 6-3.