ASHEVILLE, N.C. - UNC Asheville won two singles matches in three sets and earned the doubles point as the Bulldogs picked up a 5-2 hard-fought Big South Conference victory over visiting Liberty Friday afternoon at the Crowne Plaza Tennis Center.
Asheville (9-9, 2-3 BSC) won its second straight conference match with a solid team effort. Both Nicolai Nonnenbroich and Jonas Brobeck rallied to win both of their singles matches after dropping the first set. Nonnenbroich trailed 4-3 in the third set but roared back to win the final three games to earn the victory. Brobeck lost the first set to Mandeep Yadev of Liberty, 6-4 but Brobeck took control quickly in the second and third set to pick up the win.
Both Adrien Langard and Thomas Rees won in straight sets to give Asheville the winning points.
"I'm really proud of the guys for winning this match today against a tough Liberty team," stated Asheville coach Lise Gregory. "We fought hard and won big points at crucial times. Hopefully, we're playing our best tennis as we go into the conference tournament."
The Bulldogs end the regular season on Sunday with their Senior Day when Asheville hosts Big South foe Coastal Carolina starting at 1 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Tennis Center.
1. Waissen/Brobeck (ASH) def. Tuus/Wirth (LU) 8-5
2. Nonneinbroich/White (ASH) def. Lemmi/Thomas (LU) 8-5
3. Stayt/Yadev (LU) def. Rees/Langeard (ASH) 9-7
1. Tuus (LU) def. Waissen (ASH) 6-1, 6-2
2. Nonneinbroich (ASH) def. Stayt (LU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Langeard (ASH) def. Thomas (LU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Lemmi (LU) def. Matthews (ASH) 6-0, 6-1
5. Brobeck (ASH) def. Yadev (LU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Rees (ASH) def. Vaughan (LU) 7-5, 6-4