ASHEVILLE, N.C. - Coastal Carolina earned the doubles point and managed three victories in singles to edge UNC Asheville 4-3 in Big South Conference men's tennis action Sunday afternoon at the Crowne Plaza Tennis Center.
The match with the Chanticleers ended the regular season for both teams. Asheville finished with an overall record of 9-10 and 2-4 in the league. The Bulldogs will be the fifth seed in the Big South Conference Tournament that starts Thursday at Winthrop. Asheville faces fourth-seeded Gardner-Webb at 10 a.m.
Asheville picked up three-set wins from Matt Waissen and Jonas Brobeck during the match. Brobeck, for the second straight match, lost the first set but roared back to win. He won 10-6 in a tie-breaking third set. Also winning the Bulldogs on Sunday was Ryan Matthews who won in straight sets.
1. Matt Gordon-Peter Billingham (CCU) def. Jonas Brobeck-Matt Waissen (ASH) 8-7
2. Danny Heideker-YusukeKusada (CCU def. Nicola Nonnenbroich-Nathan White (ASH) 8-4
3. Doran Sovic-Alex Funkhouser (CCU) def. Thomas Rees-Adrien Langeard (ASH) 8-6
- 1. Matt Waissen (ASH) def. Yusuke Kusada (CCU) 6-3, 4-6, 10-7
- 2. Matt Gordon (CCU) def. Adrien Langeard (ASH) 6-4, 6-4
- 3. Danny Heideker (CCU) def. Nicolai Nonnenbroich (ASH) 7-5, 6-3
- 4. Ryan Matthews (ASH) def. Doran Sovic (CCU) 7-6, 7-5
- 5. Jonas Brobeck (ASH) def. Peter Billingham (CCU) 6-7 6-3 10-6
- 6. Leo Christofides (CCU) def. Thomas Rees (ASH) 6-3, 6-3