LYNCHBURGH, Va. - The UNC Asheville men's tennis team dropped its first Big South Conference match of the season on Friday afternoon, falling to Liberty 7-0 at the Hershey Tennis Courts on the campus of the Flames.
With the win Liberty improves to 15-6 on the season overall, with a 3-3 mark in the Big South. Asheville falls to 10-8 on the year and 3-1 in league play.
In doubles action the team of Giancarlo Lemmi and Siim Tuus defeated Asheville's No.1 team Jonas Brobeck and Matt Waissen 8-4. Adrian Langeard and Thomas Rees picked up Asheville's lone win of the day, defeating Shea Thomas and Tristan Stayt 8-6 in No. 2 doubles. Jorge Azuero and Mandeep Yadav won No. 3 doubles for Liberty, taking out Pete Conaty and John Schubel 8-6.
In singles play Thomas defeated Waissen 6-2,6-2, before Lemmi beat Brobeck by the same score in No. 3 singles action. Azuero handled Schubel 6-2, 6-0 in No. 6 singles play while Dillon Segur won against Rees 0-6, 6-2, 6-4.
Tuus defeated Langeard 6-1, 7-6 (7-1) in No. 1 singles and Yadav defeated Ryan Matthews 6-4, 3-6, 10-7 in No.5 singles.
The Bulldogs will take on Radford tomorrow in a match with big implications towards the No. 1 seed in the upcoming Big South Conference Championship. The Highlanders are 5-0 on the year and with a win, the Bulldogs would force a three-way tie for first place in the league.
Liberty 7, UNC Asheville 0
1. Tuus/Lemmi (LU) def. Waissen/Brobeck (UNCA), 8-4
2. Rees/Langeard (UNCA) def. Stayt/Thomas (LU), 8-6
3. Yadav/Azuero (LU) def. Schubel/Conaty (UNCA), 8-6
1. Tuus (LU) def. Langeard (UNCA), 6-1, 7-6 (1)
2. Thomas (LU) def. Waissen (UNCA), 6-2, 6-2
3. Lemmi (LU) def. Brobeck (UNCA), 6-2, 6-2
4. Segur (LU) def. Rees (UNCA), 0-6, 6-2, 6-4
5. Yadav (LU) def. Matthews (UNCA), 6-4, 3-6, 10-7
6. Azuero (LU) def. Schubel (UNCA), 6-2, 6-0