BUIES CREEK, N.C. - Campbell earned the doubles point and won three singles matches to slip past UNC Asheville 4-3 in Big South Conference women's tennis action Friday at the Nisbert Tennis Center.
The tough-luck loss for the Bulldogs saw their record drop to 9-8 overall and 2-4 in the Big South Conference. Campbell improved to 7-10 ovearll and 5-2 in league matches.
The Lady Camels won all three doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead. In singles play, the home team was able to get three wins and pick up the win.
Asheville earned a singles win from Zoe Hamel at #1 flight. She battled back from losing the first set to Tamara Stanic and rallied for a 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-2) victory.
Ericka Rivero won at #3 flight over Ana Maria Ortiz, 6-2, 7-6. Christine Boissevain downed. Ewa Telenga 6-1, 6-3 at #5 flight.
The Bulldogs are back in action next Saturday (April 6) when they host Coastal Carolina at the ARC Downtown at Noon.
Campbell 4 UNC Asheville 3
1. Stanic/Chernaya (CAM) def. Hamel/Rivero (ASH) 8-2
2. McNall/Boissevain (ASH) def. Ortiz/Afridi (CAM) 8-5
3. Telenga/Ros (CAM) def. Soldier/Lewis (ASH) 8-5
1. Zoe Hamel (ASH) def. Tamara Stanic (CAM) 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-2)
2. Karolina Chernaya (CAM) def. Emily McNall (ASH) 6-4, 6-2
3. Ericka Rivero (ASH) def. Ana Maria Ortiz (CAM) 6-2, 7-6
4. Natasha Afridi (CAM) def. Amyrn Soldier (ASH) 6-2, 6-2
5. Christine Boissevain (ASH) def. Ewa Telenga (CAM) 6-1, 6-3
6. Lourdes Ros (CAM) def. Gillian Lewis (ASH) 7-6, 6-1
Records: Campbell 7-10, 5-2 Big South; Asheville 9-8, 2-4 Big South