ASHEVILLE, N.C. - The UNC Asheville women's tennis team won two singles matches in three sets and captured the doubles point as the Bulldogs downed mountain rival Western Carolina, 6-1 at the Crowne Plaza Tennis Center Wednesday afternoon.
Asheville faced a Catamount team that only had five players but battled the Bulldogs (6-7) tough on the day. The victory snapped a four-match Asheville losing streak.
The home team picked up the doubles point when the #2 doubles team of Devon Cavanaugh and Britney Cloer defeated Izabella Glinska and Karen Jimenez Sarmiento,, 8-5. The Bulldogs got a default at #3 flight.
In singles action, Britney Closer and Cavanaugh shook off losses in the first set to rally for three set victories. Cloer, at the #1 singles flight, rallied past Izabell Glinska, 4-6, 6-3, 6-2. Cavanaugh, at #4, lost the first set, 6-1 but roared back to down Karen Jimenez Sarmiento, 6-0, 6-2.
The Bulldogs play at Gardner-Webb Wednesday afternoon at 2 p.m.
1. Britney Cloer (ASH) def. Izabella Glinska (WCU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Carolina Lainez (WCU) def. Stephanie Schon (ASH) 5-7, 6-1, 6-0
3. Zoe Hamel (ASH) def. Ainhoa Iglesias Díaz (WCU) 7-5, 6-4
5. Nicole Schon (ASH) def. Katie Barry (WCU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Jackie McGuirk (ASH) won by default
1. Ainhoa Iglesias Díaz / Carolina Lainez (WCU) def. Stephanie Schon/Zoe Hamel (ASH) 8-4
2. Devon Cavanaugh/Britney Cloer (ASH) def. Izabella Glinska / Karen Jiménez Sarmiento (WCU) 8-5
3. Nicole Schon/Jackie McGuirk (ASH) won by default