CHARLOTTE, N.C. (www.BigSouthSports.com) - No. 2 seed Coastal Carolina defeated No. 7 seed UNC Asheville, 4-1, in the quarterfinals of the 2011 Big South Women's Tennis Championship presented by Musco Sports Lighting Thursday afternoon at the Charlotte Indoor Tennis Club. The match was moved from Winthrop's outdoor courts due to inclement weather, and featured singles play first rather than the customary doubles play.
The Chanticleers opened the match with a 2-0 lead after Lexi Bolesky defeated Britney Cloer at No. 1 singles, 6-0, 6-0, and Miki Bunea won her singles match at No. 2 over Stephanie Schon, 6-1, 6-1. The Bulldogs cut the lead to 2-1 when Devon Cavanaugh defeated CCU's Kourtney Kowal in straight-sets, 6-1, 6-3.
But Coastal Carolina would claim victory with wins at No. 5 and No. 6 singles. Diana Mortock downed Asheville's Nicole Schon, 6-0, 6-0, to make the score 3-1, and Maria Hesketh gave the Chanticleers the clinching points with her 6-0, 6-3 singles victory over Jackie McGuirk at No. 6.
No. 4 singles saw Coastal's Mikaela Kristofersson win the first set over Zoe Hamel, 6-4, but the two were deadlocked at 1-1 when the match was halted after CCU clinched victory. With the adjusted playing format, no doubles matches were played.
Coastal Carolina improves to 20-5 overall, while Asheville's season ends at 9-14.
Coastal Carolina 4, UNC Asheville 1
1. Lexi Bolesky (CCU) def. Britney Cloer (UNCA) 6-0, 6-0
2. Miki Bunea (CCU) def. Stephanie Schon (UNCA) 6-1, 6-1
3. Devon Cavanaugh (UNCA) def. Kourtney Kowal (CCU) 6-1, 6-3
4. M. Kristofersson (CCU) vs. Zoe Hamel (UNCA) unfinished
5. Diana Mortlock (CCU) def. Nicole Schon (UNCA) 6-0, 6-0
6. Maria Hesketh (CCU) def. Jackie McGuirk (UNCA) 6-0, 6-3
1. Lexi Bolesky/M. Kristofersson (CCU) vs. Stephanie Schon/Zoe Hamel (UNCA) unfinished
2. Miki Bunea/Diana Mortlock (CCU) vs. Devon Cavanaugh/Britney Cloer (UNCA) unfinished
3. Caitlyn Brooksbank/Kourtney Kowal (CCU) vs. Nicole Schon/Jackie McGuirk (UNCA) unfinished