ASHEVILLE, N.C. - The UNC Asheville volleyball team is home Friday night at Justice Center when the Bulldogs host Big South foe Gardner-Webb starting at 7 p.m.
Friday's match will be video-streamed and can be seen under the multimedia tag at www.uncabulldogs.com.
Asheville (6-15, 2-3 BSC) split a pair of road matches last weekend. The Bulldogs knocked off Winthrop in four sets last Friday and then fell to Presbyterian College in three close sets on Saturday.
Asheville's win at Winthrop was a special victory as it was just the second time the Bulldogs had won in Rock Hill against the Eagles in 16 years. Frederico Santos' team rallied for incredible wins in the second and fourth sets. It trailed 24-21 before scoring five straight points to even the match at 26-24. In the fourth set, Asheville trailed 24-20 before surging back and winning, 28-26.
"We did a great job of hanging in there against Winthrop and finding a way to get a win," commented Santos. "Everyone contributed, and it was nice to see us battling like we did. It shows us that you're never out of a match."
The Bulldogs played Gardner-Webb on Sept. 21 on the road and lost in three sets.
"Gardner-Webb played very well when we played them a few weeks ago and deserved to win," stated Santos. "I'm hopeful that we'll play better than we did down there. Gardner-Webb is a well-coached team that plays hard for an entire match."
Asheville and Gardner-Webb (7-15, 2-3 BSC) are in a four-way tie with Winthrop and Radford for sixth place in the league standings. All four teams are just a game behind High Point, Charleston Southern and Coastal Carolina.
"As I've said all along, the Big South is extremely balanced this season and that's playing out every match," declared Santos. "Every game is crucial, and hopefully we're ready to make a run in the league standings."
- 1. UNC Asheville went 2-1 vs. Gardner-Webb last season and both wins were in five sets.
- 2. The Bulldogs are 18-5 in BSC home matches over the past four years.
- 3. Anna Moore is fifth in the Big South in blocks (0.99), ninth in kills (2.59) and ninth in hitting percentage (.278).
- 4. Holly Shelton is fourth in the league in kills (2.99)
- 5. Katie Davis is fifth in the conference in digs (8.64)
- 6. Asheville has played just three home matches this season. The Bulldogs are 2-1 at Justice Center and both wins were in five sets.
- 7. Asheville is 3-1 in five-set matches this year.