ASHEVILLE, N.C. - The UNC Asheville volleyball team hopes to keep moving up the Big South Conference standings when the Bulldogs hit the road for two league matches this Friday and Saturday. Asheville faces High Point at the Millis Center Friday night at 7 p.m. and then travels to Campbell Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m.
The Bulldogs (8-16, 4-4 BSC) moved from ninth place to sixth place in the conference standings with two exciting home wins last weekend. Asheville downed Charleston Southern in four sets Friday night and then edged Coastal Carolina in five sets last Saturday evening.
Second-year coach Frederico Santos was pleased how his team performed last weekend.
"You can always find ways to play better, but overall we played extremely well against Charleston Southern and Coastal Carolina," commented Santos. "Both teams were playing good volleyball coming into our place, and we found ways to win. Each match presented different challenges, but in the end they were victories.
"However, it's time to move on," admitted Santos. "We want to move up in the league standings, and the only way you can do that is by winning. This weekend we have two tough road challenges."
High Point (18-8, 5-4 BSC) is having an excellent season as the Panthers are looking for their second Big South title in the last three years. The Bulldogs have not won at the Millis Center since the 2009 season. Campbell (7-18, 0-8 BSC) is struggling in league play but posted impressive non-conference wins earlier this year over East Carolina and Manhattan.
"High Point has a very good team that is balanced all the way around," declared Santos. "We need to be at our best from start to finish at High Point.
"Campbell has been snake-bit in its conference matches," added Santos. "They've played everyone pretty tough and just come up a point or two short."
After this weekend's matches, the Bulldogs return home to play their final two matches of the season. Asheville hosts Presbyterian College Friday (Nov. 2) night at 7 p.m. and Winthrop Saturday (Nov. 3) at 2 p.m.
- 1. UNC Asheville has two individual award winners from the Big South on Monday. Junior Rachel Wells was named Defensive Player of the Week for the first time in her career. Freshman setter Katie Davis earned Rookie of the Week honors for the second time this season.
- 2. The Bulldogs went 3-0 against this weekend's opponents last season. Asheville downed High Point and Campbell at Justice Center. The Bulldogs defeated the Camels in the quarterfinals of the Big South Tournament.
- 3. Anna Moore is seventh in the Big South this week in blocks (0.94), eighth in kills (2.61) and eighth in attack percentage (.279).
- 4. Holly Shelton is fourth in the league in kills (2.99).
- 5. Katie Davis is fifth in assists (8.83).
- 6. Rachel Wells is eighth in digs (3.16).
- 7. The Bulldogs are 4-1 in five-set matches this season and have won four straight.
- 8. Asheville is 4-5 on the road this year but 0-9 in neutral settings.
- 9. The Bulldogs have had to work hard for all of their wins. Asheville has won just one match this year 3-0. Four wins have come in five sets and three have come in four sets.
- 10. Holly Shelton has 266 total kills this season and has already surpassed last year's total of 256.