ASHEVILLE, N.C. - The UNC Asheville volleyball team finishes up the home portion of its schedule and celebrates Senior Day this weekend as the Bulldogs play two key Big South Conference matches at Justice Center. Asheville hosts Presbyterian College Friday night at 7 p.m. and then battles Winthrop Saturday at 2 p.m.
Both matches will be video-streamed and can be seen under the multimedia tag at www.uncabulldogs.com.
The Bulldogs (9-17, 5-5 BSC) face two teams in front of them in the Big South Conference standings. Asheville is in sixth place in the league standings, while PC is in second place (11-15, 8-3 BSC) and Winthrop is in fifth place (12-14, 6-5 BSC). The Blue Hose have been the surprise of the Big South this season and are only a half-game behind league-leader Liberty (8-2). They've survived a mid-season coaching change and been very tough to beat this season. The Blue Hose downed the Bulldogs last month in three sets in Clinton, S.C.
Saturday's match vs. Winthrop will be Senior Day as Asheville honors Holly Shelton and Chelsie Kenley as the duo play their final home games. The Lady Eagles are coached by former Bulldog head coach Julie Torbett. On her staff as an assistant coach is former Bulldog Cindi Miller who enjoyed a sensational career before graduating last spring. The Bulldogs slipped past Winthrop last month on the road in four close sets.
Asheville split two road matches last weekend. The Bulldogs fell at High Point in three sets last Friday before winning at Campbell in three sets the next day.
"We look forward to playing our final two home matches this weekend," commented Asheville head coach Frederico Santos. "We have a chance to move up in the league standings, but we need to win these matches. It won't be easy. Presbyterian is having a great year, and Winthrop is playing very well right now."
UNC ASHEVILLE NOTES
- 1. The Bulldogs are 4-1 in five-set matches this year and have won four straight.
- 2. Asheville is 3-3 at home this season with two of those wins came in five sets.
- 3. Anna Moore is ranked in the top 10 in the Big South in three different categories. She's seventh in blocks (0.94), eighth in hitting percentage (.276) and 10th in kills (2.64).
- 4. Holly Shelton ranks fourth this week in kills (2.96).
- 5. Freshman setter Katie Davis is fifth in assists (9.03).
- 6. Rachel Wells ranks ninth in digs (3.31).
- 7. Winthrop assistant Cindi Miller led the Bulldogs in kills last year.
- 8. Katie Davis has been named Freshman of the Week twice this season.