ASHEVILLE, N.C. - The UNC Asheville volleyball team heads to Greensboro this weekend to take part in the Spartan-Aggie Invitational. The Bulldogs play at UNC Greensboro Friday for a match with the Spartans and then head to North Carolina A&T on Saturday to play matches against American and North Carolina A&T.
Asheville (2-7) is coming off an emotional home victory over Western Carolina in five sets on Tuesday. The Bulldogs lost the first two sets but stormed back to win the next three to earn a victory in their home opener.
"I'm really proud of our team for battling back like we did against Western Carolina," stated second-year coach Frederico Santos. "We haven't had a lot of success with wins and losses so far and for us to dig down and find a way to win is really encouraging.
"In the Western Carolina match, you saw glimpses of our potential when we play consistent volleyball," added Santos. "We just need to avoid the lapses that we have sometimes."
Holly Shelton led the Asheville comeback with 23 kills, while Anna Moore added 14 kills and four blocks. Setter Katie Davis had 53 assists and 11 digs. Alex Stewart sparked the defense with 25 digs.
Santos expects another challenging this weekend for his young club. UNC Greensboro sports a 3-1 record, while American is 2-3 but is the favorite to win the Patriot League this year. The Eagles have captured 10 of the last 11 Patriot League crowns. North Carolina A&T is 0-8 on the season but has faced a tough schedule.
"We'll need to play well this weekend," explained Santos. "Our schedule has been pretty tough to start the year and hopefully it will help us on Friday and Saturday."
- 1. After playing at home for the first time Tuesday night, the Bulldogs play their next seven matches away from home. Asheville plays next weekend at Charlotte. The Bulldogs next match at Justice Center won't be until Sept. 28 vs. league foe Radford.
- 2. Asheville is now 1-1 this season in five-set matches.
- 3. The Bulldogs last win in five sets when being down 0-2 came last year against Gardner-Webb at Justice Center. It was also Asheville's home opener.
- 4. Holly Shelton enjoyed a double-double against WCU with 23 kills and 17 digs. It was just the second-double of her career and was a career-high in both kills and digs.
- 5. UNC Greensboro has won the last two meetings between the teams. This will be the first meeting ever between American and Asheville. The Bulldogs have won three straight matches against North Carolina A&T.