ASHEVILLE, N.C. -The UNC Asheville volleyball team competes this weekend in the Hilton University 49ers Invitational on the campus of Charlotte. The Bulldogs will play three matches over the weekend as they'll face Towson Friday at 4:30 p.m., followed by matches vs. Charlotte (12:30 p.m.) and Kennesaw State (4:30 p.m.) on Saturday.
Asheville (4-9) is trying to shake off a frustrating road loss at USC Upstate on Tuesday. The Bulldogs lost in four sets to the Spartans and just couldn't get untracked during the match.
"USC Upstate played very well on Tuesday, and we didn't play quite as well as we did last weekend in Greensboro," stated second-year coach Frederico Santos. "We just seemed to be out of synch the whole match. However, when you have a young team these type of matches will happen. We're not pleased with the result but it is part of the learning process.
"We've had some great practices since Tuesday, and hopefully we'll play better this weekend," added Santos.
The Bulldogs face some stiff competition this weekend. Towson is 8-3 on the season and captured a tournament in Montana last weekend with a win over Texas Tech. Charlotte is 7-2 on the year, while Kennesaw State is 8-3 in 2012 and carries a four-game winning streak into this weekend's action.
"We're going to play three very good teams this weekend who know how to win," commented Santos. "We'll need to be at our best to have a chance in each match. Our team showed some great signs last weekend in Greensboro of the team we can become, but we just have to be more consistent."
These matches are the final regular season non-conference matches of the year for the Bulldogs. Asheville opens Big South Conference play next Friday (Sept. 21) at Gardner-Webb.
- 1. Junior libero Alex Stewart picked up her 1,000th career dig on Tuesday night at USC Upstate. She is one of 13 players to record 1,000 digs in her Bulldog career.
- 2. Bulldogs are 0-7 in neutral matches this year but 3-2 in road matches.
- 3. For the second straight weekend, Asheville faces a former Big South Conference foe as the Bulldogs take on Towson. The Tiger program was a member of the Big South from 1992-94. Asheville went 2-2 against then Towson State when it was a member of the BSC.
- 4. Holly Shelton is tied for third in the Big South in kills at 3.00 per set.
- 5. Freshman setter Katie Davis was named Big South Freshman of the Week on Monday. She is fifth in the league in assists with an 8.23 per set mark.
- 6. Anna Moore is eighth in the league in blocks with a 0.98 average.
- 7. Alex Stewart is ninth in digs at 3.07 digs per set.